Super simple baked doughnuts packed with a Christmas spice kick and a choice of two finishes
These baked donuts are easy to whip up in a hurry (breakfast donuts anyone?) and are a little healthier than their fried siblings. You’ll need a donut baking tray or alternatively, these could be baked into a muffin or cupcake if that’s your thing.
Makes 6-8 donuts depending on the size of your tray.
125g all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
A pinch of ground clove
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
65g light muscovado sugar
30g melted butter
1 and ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
Glazing to finish
60g icing sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Cinnamon sugar to finish
200g granulated sugar
3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
A small amount of melted unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / 375 F / Gas mark 5
- Combine all of the dry donut ingredients in a bowl
- Whisk all of the wet donut ingredients, including the butter, in a separate bowl to the dry ingredients. Make sure everything is mixed thoroughly and until completely smooth
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and begin to mix. Don’t over mix at this point but make sure the spice is well distributed through the mix
- Spoon the finished mix into the donut tray
- Bake for 12 minutes or until you start to see them browning
- The donuts will come out of the oven a little soft. Let them cool and firm up for around 5 minutes in the tray before removing or the donuts might break up
Simply mix together all of the ingredients and drizzle over the donuts. Adjust the amount of cinnamon to taste. It’s also a good idea to sift the icing sugar to help achieve a smooth glaze.
Rolled in cinnamon sugar
Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Take your melted butter and apply a light coating to the top half of each donut, just enough to allow the sugar to stick. Dip the buttered top-side into the sugar and shake around a bit to get a good coating.